Because of advancements in pavement technologies, asphalt has an extremely long lifespan. In fact, the average Lifespan of Asphalt pavement is 15-20 years with regular, preventative maintenance.
Lifespan of Asphalt
- 3-5 Years: In the first 5 years, your asphalt will begin to show the first signs of cracking. If dealt with in a timely manner, these cracks will not develop into any major problems.
- 5-7 Years: Between 5-7 years, your asphalt will most likely need its first patch.
- 15-20 Years: With regular, preventative maintenance, your asphalt pavement should last 15-20 years.
Perpetual Pavement is constructed in such a way that distress occurs in the top layer only, leaving the base intact. This means that full-depth reconstruction is a thing of the past. Nowadays, the only rehabilitation required is removal of the surface and resurfacing with an asphalt overlay. Best of all, the reclaimed Asphalt material is 100% recyclable.
Concrete, on the other hand, requires expensive, time-consuming rehabilitation when it has reached the end of its useful life.
Concrete vs. Asphalt
Additional benefits of asphalt include:
- Safety: Because asphalt provides a smoother ride, tires are in contact with the ground more often, thus improving safety.
- Noise: Asphalt is also the quiet pavement.
- Convenience: Asphalt pavements are faster to construct and rehabilitate.
- Fuel: Because of its smoother ride, asphalt helps improve fuel economy.
- Durability: Asphalt is made to withstand everything you can throw at it.
Reliable Contracting, an Asphalt Contractor in Millersville, Maryland
Reliable Contracting, which is located in Millersville, Maryland, is your single-source solution for all of your asphalt needs, from construction to repair to rehabilitation. As a full service asphalt contractor, we can produce all of today’s high-performance asphalt paving products, or can tailor a mix or installation to suit your project’s specific needs.
If you have any questions about Perpetual Pavement, Sustainability, and the Lifespan of Asphalt, please contact Reliable Contracting today by calling 410-987-0313 or visit our website. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
Performance Means Sustainability Asphalt Pavement Alliance