According to manufacturer’s specifications, sealcoats have a recommended minimum application temperature of 50 degrees and a maximum recommended minimum application temperature below 85°F. This means that the temperature needs to be above 50 degrees and below 85 degrees before application, during application, and several hours after application. Failing to meet this criterion could result in several things…
- When sealcoating below 50°F: When temperature is too cold, the asphalt particles do not soften to form a continuous film. This causes the sealcoating to not only appear grey, but also lack integrity.
- When sealcoating above 85°F: When the temperature is above 85 degrees, the sealcoating will lose its fluidity too rapidly, immobilizing binder particles and preventing them from fusing and forming a continuous film.
So what does this all mean for you and your sealcoating needs? It means that sealcoating season will soon be upon us!
Benefits of Sealcoating
- Aesthetics: Sealcoating gives your parking lot a nice dark black color, greatly improving its aesthetic appeal. Sealcoating will also help slow asphalt fading, meaning your asphalt will look great for a long time!
- Durability: Sealcoat helps slow oxidation and water penetration, extending the life of your asphalt parking lot.
- Stain Resistant: Gasoline and oil can easily stain your asphalt parking lot. Sealcoating helps prevent this from happening.
- Maintenance: Sealcoat makes it easy to wipe up spills and maintain an aesthetically appealing parking lot.
Baltimore Asphalt Contractor
Reliable Contracting Company is a full-service commercial and residential asphalt paving contractor, offering the production and installation of hot and cold-mix asphalt, asphalt patching, milling, crack filling, and, of course, sealcoating. Because of all this, we can provide complete single-source solutions for your Maryland asphalt paving project.
If you have any questions about Asphalt Repair or if you have a construction project that you need completed right the first time, please contact Reliable Contracting, Anne Arundel County’s largest site-work contractor, by calling 410-987-0313 or visit our website. Reliable Contracting now boasts more than 400 employees, 100 trucks and 250 pieces of earthmoving equipment!
- Is 50 Degrees really warm enough to Sealcoat? Pavemanpro.com