Since 1928, our family business has earned its reputation as a leading commercial and residential development contractor by providing service and quality that is second to none. Reliable Contracting is now Anne Arundel County’s largest site-work contractor, boasting more than 400 employees, 100 trucks and 250 pieces of earthmoving equipment.
We offer a wide variety of services for site development and property maintenance needs including:
- Asphalt paving and road construction
- Concrete installation
- Grading and excavating
- Utility installation
- Stormwater management
We are also one of Central Maryland’s leading asphalt manufactures with two NAPA recognized locations in Anne Arundel County. At both locations we carry a variety of sand and aggregate materials. Reliable Contracting has a wide service area including: Millersville, Gambrills, Fort Meade, Odenton, Crofton, Baltimore , Bowie, Waldorf, White Plains, La Plata, Kent Island, Laurel and Severna Park. We also serve the following counties: Anne Arundel County, Prince George’s County, St. Mary’s County, Charles County, Montgomery County, Baltimore County, Kent County, Queen Anne’s County and Howard County.
Today, Reliable Contracting is managed by the second and third generation of the Baldwin family: Jay Baldwin was elected as our corporate President in 2002 when his father, Tom Baldwin retired as President after 52 years of service to the company. Meade Baldwin Sr. and Jack Baldwin, the sons of co-founder, Bill Baldwin, have both spent their entire careers at Reliable and continue to actively serve as Divisional Vice Presidents. In fact, over a third of our employees have been with the firm for 10 years or more, and many represent their family’s second or third generation of Reliable employees. However, Reliable Contracting beginnings were much more humble.
To have a positive and significant impact on the construction industry by setting the standard for excellence in construction services. Reliable is dedicated to delivering quality products, displaying professionalism within the firm, seeking new opportunities for expansion and profitability, and providing an environment for individual success.
In 1928, brothers Bill and Frank Baldwin purchased a $200 used dump truck and entered the hauling business. It wasn’t until 1938 that their first State contract was awarded – for backfilling the bulkheads at St. George Island. With a few more dump trucks, a bulldozer and a handful of employees, the company incorporated in 1942, but the brothers returned to farming after World War II and all but abandoned the construction business. Frank Baldwin’s son Tom, a recent college graduate, purchased his father’s share of the company in 1950, sought out new business in road construction and excavating, and built the company into a strong and dynamic industry leader.
Collectively, our management team has over 374 years at Reliable Contracting. As an Executive Committee, they have been leading Reliable since 1990 and have expanded into the counties of southern MD, more than doubled the number of employees and reached $100 million in sales. Here is the team that has the skills and expertise to get your job done right:
Joseph G. Baldwin (Jay) – President
- Graduate of University of Maryland, 1986
- Full time employee for Reliable since 1986
- Named President/CEO in 2002 and represents the company’s third generation of family leadership
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2007 Award in the Construction and Contracting Services category in Maryland.
- Past President of Maryland Highway Contractors Assoc.
- Past President of the Associated Builders and Contractors (Chesapeake Chapter)
- Past President of the Anne Arundel County Utility Contractors Assoc.
- Board of Directors of the Maryland Asphalt Association
- Board of Directors of Anne Arundel Health Systems Foundation.
- Appointed to The Governor’s Commission on Regulatory Reform in 2015
- Past Vice President of Associated Builders and Contractors National Committee
Patricia M. Baldwin – Treasurer
- Secretary/Treasurer of Reliable Contracting since 1999.
- Master of Business Administration Degree, Loyola College, Baltimore MD.
- 28 years experience in development of commercial and residential subdivisions and property management.
- MD General Assembly Unemployment Insurance Oversight Committee, NFIB Representative.
- Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation, Chairman of the Board
- BB&T Advisory Board Member
- NFIB Leadership Council Chairman
- West Anne Arundel County Rotary Club, Board Member
- West Anne Arundel Co. Chamber of Commerce, Past President
John T. Baldwin, Jr. – Vice President and Chief Operations Officer for Grading, Utilities and Equipment Operations
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Elon College, N.C.
- Became part Owner in 2003 as a member of the company’s third generation, and joined Reliable Contracting’s Board of Directors
- Over 30 years at Reliable Contracting working as an Operator, Foreman, Superintendent, General Superintendent and Operations Manager for the Grading and Utility Divisions.
- Promoted to Vice President of the Grading and Utility Divisions in 2016.
- Promoted to Executive Vice President in 2019
- Member of Mid-Atlantic Equipment Managers Association.
- Member of Associated Utility Contractors of Maryland
- Member of Associated Builders and Contractors
Robert K. Scrivener – Vice President and Chief Operations Officer for the Plants, Paving, and Trucking Operations
- Liberal Arts Degree from Christendom College, Front Royal, VA.
- Over 30 years with Reliable Contracting Co, Inc. beginning as a Quality Control Director. Moved onto Plant Manager, Project Manager and Asphalt Division Manager.
- Promoted to Vice President of Plants and Asphalt Division in 2016
- MD Asphalt Association Board of Directors since 1995 and Past Chairman
- MD Transportation Builders and Materials Association – Member of the Board of Directors
- Former MD Aggregates Association – Board of Directors and Chairman of the Technical Committee
- National Asphalt Pavement Association –Quality in Construction subcommittee member
- Arundel High School Business Advisory Board member
- Christendom College – Board of Directors
Bill Carr – Vice President Southern Maryland Division
- Attended AACC
- Forty plus years in the construction industry with a background in land surveying.
- Started at Reliable in 1985 as a Grading Foreman and has worked his way up to General Manager of our
Southern Maryland Division.
- Promoted to Vice President of our Southern Division in 2016
Bob Carrier – Risk and Safety Manager
- Over 15 years experience overseeing safety training and regulations in the construction and manufacturing industries.
- Started at Reliable in 2004 as a Safety Officer
- North East Technical Services Certified Radiation Safety Officer
- MTBMA Safety Committee Member
- Willis Insurance Heavy Highway Safety Committee Member
Rob Secoura – Vice President Estimating
- Attended UMBC
- Joined Reliable in 1978
- Has worked in the estimating department for his entire career
- Became Estimating Division Manager in 1981, supervises a staff of eight estimating and bidding professionals
- Promoted to Vice President of Estimating in 2016
Jack Atkinson – Senior Project Manager
- Graduate of Clemson University’s Construction Management Academy and also studied Real Estate & Finance at Anne Arundel Community College
- Joined Reliable in 1985 as an equipment operator, advanced through the ranks of Grading Foreman, Superintendent, and since 2003, Project Manager
- Over 45 years in Construction Industry, specializing in all types of Site Development, Mentoring, and Customer Relations
- Promoted to Senior Project Manager overseeing both Private and Commercial Projects in 2016
Mike Sturdevant – Senior Project Manager
- Over 34 years overall construction experience, including surveying, field layout, grading, utility work and paving construction. Also managed hot mix asphalt plant construction and production.
- Joined Reliable Contracting in 1989 as a project manager and working through 1997. Returned as plant foreman in 2012, and transitioned back to project management in 2014.
- Promoted to Senior Project Manager in 2016.
- MD Asphalt Association Board of Directors from 2001 to 2004.
C. Meade Baldwin – Vice President
Also known as Big Meade, was part of Reliable’s 2nd generation of the Baldwin family to operate Reliable Contacting. Meade joined Reliable in 1957, and was Reliable’s longest-tenured active employee until his passing in 2018.
Meade worked in all phases of the business including laborer, equipment operator, shop foreman and project manager. From 1987 to 2018, served as Vice President with responsibility over Asphalt, Concrete and Trucking divisions, as well as truck maintenance. Meade was also past treasurer of the Maryland Asphalt Association.
John T. Baldwin (Jack) – Chairman of the Board Emeritus
- Joined Reliable in June 1961 upon completing High School
- Worked at various positions within the company including survey crew, office clerk, equipment operator and spent two years as a truck driver.
- Became Shop Foreman in 1966
- Became Grade Foreman in 1972, followed by a stint as Grading Superintendant
- Initiated the Utility Division in 1982
- Named Vice President in 1987, with responsibility for the Utility and Grading Divisions and the Equipment Shop, as well as the purchasing and maintenance of all off-road equipment.
- Promoted to Chairman of the Board Emeritus in 2019
C. Meade Baldwin Jr. – Truck Division Manager
Little Meade or Meadie as he is called was part of Reliable’s 3rd Baldwin Generation to manage the company. Meade worked for Reliable throughout high school as our truck clerk and concrete laborer. He became a Truck Driver in 1981, also worked as Assistant Truck Foreman. Named Truck Foreman in 1991, and transitioned to Truck Division Manager which he oversaw until his retirement in 2019.
Reliable Contracting Co., Inc. is a Proud Member of the following organizations:
Associated Builders and Contractors, Chesapeake Chapter – www.abc-chesapeake.org
Maryland Asphalt Association – www.mdasphalt.org
Maryland Transportation Builders and Materials Association – www.mtbma.org
National Asphalt Paving Association (NAPA) – www.asphaltpavement.org
West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce – www.waaccc.org
Leadership Anne Arundel – www.leadershipaa.org
National Federation of Independent Business – www.nfib.com
U.S. Chamber of Commerce – www.uschamber.com
Homebuilders Association of MD – www.homebuilders.org