As we mentioned in last week’s post, the pavement industry is one of constant evolution and change. And perhaps the biggest catalyst of this change, over the years, has been technology. This technology has allowed pavement contractors to produce flatter surfaces with fewer bumps and dips, surfaces that last longer, and surfaces that are much more environmentally friendly.
Pavement Technologies of Today
- Robotic Total Stations: These instruments accurately track the prism mounted on a surveyor’s rod or on a machine.
- GPS Survey Instruments: These instruments use satellites to help identify control points.
- Total Stations: Requiring at least 2 people, total stations are used to lay out points.
- 3D Laser Scanners: 3D laser scanners can be used to locate millions of points and help provide topographical information for the design process.
- LIDAR Scanning: LIDAR, which stands for laser detection and ranging, is a method for quickly surveying an area in 3D. This can be accomplished from an airplane.
- Stringless Paving: This 3D paving process starts with the computer, which then interfaces with the paving machine controller through a control area network (CAN). The computer communicates with the total stations, lasers, or GPS instruments through a radio link, collecting machine position information. This is used to calculate the position of the machine.
And this is just the beginning!
Reliable Contracting: Your Baltimore, Maryland Asphalt Paving Contractor
Reliable Contracting has embraced the latest and greatest paving technologies as they have become available. We have been an innovator in the use of laser-guided leveling and we are also experienced in the use of the latest satellite-based total site management systems.
At Reliable Contracting, we utilize state of the art equipment and experienced operators to provide you with the highest quality asphalt paving around!
If you have any questions or if you have a construction project that you need completed right the first time, please contact Reliable Contracting by calling 410-987-0313 or visit our website.
Reliable Contracting is now Anne Arundel County’s largest site-work contractor, boasting more than 400 employees, 100 trucks and 250 pieces of earthmoving equipment.