For more than 80 years, Reliable's name has said it all, and our family business has earned its reputation as a leading commercial and residential contractor by providing service and quality that is second to none. Reliable Contracting is now Anne Arundel County's largest site-work contractor, boasting more than 400 employees, 100 trucks and 250 pieces of earthmoving equipment, but our beginnings were much more humble.
Today, Reliable Contracting is managed by a second and third generation of the Baldwin family: Tom Baldwin led the company until 2002, when his own son Jay took over as company President. Bill Baldwin's sons Jack and Meade have both spent their entire careers at Reliable, and continue to actively serve as Divisional Vice Presidents. In fact, nearly a third of our staff has been with the firm for 10 years or more, and many represent their family's third generation of Reliable employees.
In 1928, brothers Bill and Frank Baldwin purchased a $200 used dump truck and entered the hauling business. It wasn't until 1938 that their first State contract was awarded - for backfilling the bulkheads at St. George Island. With a few more dump trucks, a bulldozer and a handful of employees, the company incorporated in 1942, but the brothers returned to farming after World War II and all but abandoned the construction business. Frank Baldwin's son Tom, a recent college graduate, purchased his father's share of the company in 1950, sought out new business in road construction and excavating, and built the company into a strong and dynamic industry leader.
Collectively, our management team has over 374 years at Reliable Contracting. As an Executive Committee, they have been leading Reliable since 1990 and have expanded into the counties of southern MD, more than doubled the number of employees and reached $100 million in sales. Here is the team that has the skills and expertise to get your job done right:
Joseph G. Baldwin (Jay) - President
- Graduate of University of Maryland, 1986
- Full time employee for Reliable since 1986
- Named President/CEO in 2002 and represents the company's third generation of family leadership
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2007 Award in the Construction and Contracting Services category in Maryland.
- Past President of Maryland Highway Contractors Assoc.
- Past President of the Associated Builders and Contractors (Chesapeake Chapter)
- Past President of the Anne Arundel County Utility Contractors Assoc.
- Board of Directors of the Maryland Asphalt Association
- Board of Directors of Archbishop Spalding High School
- Board of Directors of Bank Annapolis
C. Meade Baldwin - Vice President
- Joined Reliable in 1957, now Reliable’s longest-tenured active employee
- Has worked in all phases of the business including laborer, equipment operator, shop foreman and project manager
- Since 1987, serves as Vice President with responsibility over Asphalt, Concrete and Trucking divisions, as well as truck maintenance.
- Past Treasurer of the Maryland Asphalt Association
John T. Baldwin (Jack) - Vice President
- Joined Reliable in June 1961 upon completing High School
- Worked at various positions within the company including survey crew, office clerk, equipment operator and spent two years as a truck driver.
- Became Shop Foreman in 1966
- Became Grade Foreman in 1972, followed by a stint as Grading Superintendant
- Initiated the Utility Division in 1982
- Named Vice President in 1987, with responsibility for the Utility and Grading Divisions and the Equipment Shop, as well as the purchasing and maintenance of all off-road equipment.
Patricia M. Baldwin - Treasurer
- Treasurer/Secretary of Reliable Contracting
- Master of Business Administration Degree, Loyola College, Baltimore MD.
- 28 years experience in development of commercial & residential subdivisions and property management.
- NFIB Representative on the MD General Assembly Unemployment Insurance Oversight Committee
- Past President of West Anne Arundel Co. Chamber of Commerce.
- 2008 Athena Award Recipient.
- 2011 ABC Willow Award
- Current Board Member of: Anne Arundel Workforce Development Corporation, BB&T Advisory Board, and NFIB Leadership Council.
Robert K. Scrivener - Asphalt Division Manager
- Liberal Arts Degree from Christendom College, Front Royal, VA.
- Over 30 years with Reliable Contracting Co, Inc. beginning as a Quality Control Director. Moved onto Plant Manager, Project Manager and his current position as Division Manager.
- MD Asphalt Association Board of Directors since 1995 and Past Chairman
- MD Transportation Builders and Materials Association – Member of the Board of Directors
- Former MD Aggregates Association - Board of Directors and Chairman of the Technical Committee
- National Asphalt Pavement Association –Quality in Construction subcommittee member
- Arundel High School Business Advisory Board member
- Christendom College – Board of Directors
Michael J. Abbott - Utility Division Manager
- Graduated from Clemson University 1991.
- Joined Reliable in 1992 as an Estimator and advanced to Project Manager and current position.
- Past Chairman of the Associated Builder and Contractors (Chesapeake Chapter); Board Member for 10 years.
- Past Vice President and Former Treasurer for the Utility Contractors Association of Anne Arundel County.
John T. Baldwin, Jr. - General Superintendent
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Elon College, N.C.
- Over 25 years with Reliable Contracting Co. Inc. as an Operator, Foreman, Superintendent,
- Became part Owner in 2003 as a member of the company’s third generation
Rob Secoura - Estimating Division Manager
- Attended UMBC
- Joined Reliable in 1978
- Has worked in the estimating department for his entire career
- Became Estimating Manager in 1981, supervises a staff of eight estimating and bidding professionals
C. Meade Baldwin Jr. - Truck Division Manager
- Worked for Reliable throughout High School as a Truck Clerk and concrete laborer
- Became a Truck Driver in 1981, also worked as Assistant Truck Foreman
- Named Truck Foreman in 1991, now holds the position of Truck Division Manager
Joe Zdrojewski - Controller
- Served in the United States Air Force as an Accounting Specialist from 1963-1967.
- Attended LaSalle College in Philadelphia on the GI Bill
- Joined Reliable in 1982 as company Accountant
- Assumed title of Controller in 1987, responsible for all accounting functions, Human Resources and Data Processing
Reliable Contracting Co., Inc. is a Proud Member of the following organizations:
Associated Builders and Contractors, Chesapeake Chapter - www.abc-chesapeake.org
Maryland Asphalt Association - www.mdasphalt.org
Maryland Transportation Builders and Materials Association - www.mtbma.org
National Asphalt Paving Association (NAPA) - www.asphaltpavement.org
West Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce - www.waaccc.org
Leadership Anne Arundel - www.leadershipaa.org
National Federation of Independent Business - www.nfib.com
U.S. Chamber of Commerce - www.uschamber.com
Homebuilders Association of MD - www.homebuilders.org